This course is aimed at Java developers who are preparing for the Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 8 Programmer I [1Z0-808] examination. The course includes detailed coverage of all the topics in the exam, and includes comprehensive examples and exercises to assist your preparation for the exam as well as your general Java career.
We are happy to customise on-site deliveries of this course to fit the customer's timescales and budget.
At least 6 months programming experience in any programming language.
What you will learn:
- Declaring variables and using Java operators
- Using loops and decision-making constructs
- Working with strings
- Defining and using arrays
- Working with methods
- Defining classes and creating objects
- Implementing inheritance relationships
- Dealing with exceptions
For on-site courses (i.e. at your premises), we are more than happy to tailor the course agenda to suit your exact requirements. In many cases, we are able to build your in-house standards and naming conventions into the delivered course.On-site course enquiry (from £165 pp per day)
Course DetailsView Dates and Locations
- Java Basics
- Define the scope of variables
- Define the structure of a Java class
- Create executable Java applications with a main method; run a Java program from the command line; including console output.
- Import other Java packages to make them accessible in your code
- Compare and contrast the features and components of Java such as: platform independence, object orientation, encapsulation, etc.
- Working With Java Data Types
- Declare and initialize variables (including casting of primitive data types)
- Differentiate between object reference variables and primitive variables
- Know how to read or write to object fields
- Explain an Object's Lifecycle (creation, "dereference by reassignment" and garbage collection)
- Develop code that uses wrapper classes such as Boolean, Double, and Integer.
- Using Operators and Decision Constructs
- Use Java operators; including parentheses to override operator precedence
- Test equality between Strings and other objects using == and equals ()
- Create if and if/else and ternary constructs
- Use a switch statement
- Creating and Using Arrays
- Declare, instantiate, initialize and use a one-dimensional array
- Declare, instantiate, initialize and use multi-dimensional array
- Using Loop Constructs
- Create and use while loops
- Create and use for loops including the enhanced for loop
- Create and use do/while loops
- Compare loop constructs
- Use break and continue
- Working with Methods and Encapsulation
- Create methods with arguments and return values; including overloaded methods
- Apply the static keyword to methods and fields
- Create and overload constructors; including impact on default constructors
- Apply access modifiers
- Apply encapsulation principles to a class
- Determine the effect upon object references and primitive values when they are passed into methods that change the values
- Working with Inheritance
- Describe inheritance and its benefits
- Develop code that demonstrates the use of polymorphism; including overriding and object type versus reference type
- Determine when casting is necessary
- Use super and this to access objects and constructors
- Use abstract classes and interfaces
- Handling Exceptions
- Differentiate among checked exceptions, unchecked exceptions, and Errors
- Create a try-catch block and determine how exceptions alter normal program flow
- Describe the advantages of Exception handling
- Create and invoke a method that throws an exception
- "Recognize common exception classes (such as NullPointerException, ArithmeticExcpetion, ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException, ClassCastException)"
- Working with Selected classes from the Java API
- Manipulate data using the StringBuilder class and its methods
- Creating and manipulating Strings
- Create and manipulate calendar data using classes from java.time.LocalDateTime, java.time.LocalDate, java.time.LocalTime, java.time.format.DateTimeFormatter, java.time.Period
- Declare and use an ArrayList of a given type
- Write a simple Lambda expression that consumes a Lambda Predicate expression
Dates are being arranged daily - please phone or email for further information.